Sunday, January 29, 2006

AM02 - week 03 - Assignment


It is 5am... the sun is almost coming up again. Though I should be tired I am not... maybe the idea of flying to San Francisco keeps me awake. I don't know.

Today I had to make a tough decision: either follow Doug's mentoring suggestion to animate "Ballie stepping into a bucket - which has to stand on the ground" or creating a totally new story three weeks into this term already which Doug never heard of... Since I couldn't come up with any idea of Ballie turning around and stepping into a bucket which wouldn't look silly or not unbelievable I decided to create a complete new story once again - the forth time this week.

Well, and now it is finished... and I don't feel too happy. Actually I think that the other ideas would have been much stronger and more funny - which is why I still integrated them into the movie file. I understand Doug's criticism about those stories and he is right about it - but I tried to concentrate on the body mechanics and didn't want to tell a whole feature film in 8 seconds.

Well, the new idea is clear and simple - yet - maybe even boring. I shouldn't use the cycling in the air and I didn't but I think that even the new story would have been better if the vase crashes to the floor and Ballie jumps away like a maniac.

Anyway... I was trapped and there was barely a way out. Hopefully Doug likes the new story at least. I couldn't talk about it earlier and I felt really uncomfortable going against his suggestion. The animation had to be done really quickly and is somewhere between a blocking stage and some refinement. There is still a lot missing but those four stories took their tribute... so, sorry for such a crappy animation...

But you better just check that yourself. You can find the animation here - it is 10MB big.

Everyone, now it is time for me to go to bed. My plane will leave Munich at around 4pm tomorrow and then it will be one week of pure San Francisco visiting... I look forward to that and all the people I am going to see there.

God bless you,

- Alex

2 comments:

Boris Hiestand said...

Are you trying to convince us or yourself with all your writing?

Better get your feet wet man: I'm not sure they let you choose a new story on a real production when your animation doesn't work!!! Stick to it til it DOES work! It's painful but it pays off.

the final one with the statue is definately the stongest statement. I'd probably have him bump into the vase when he's still looking at the statue, but hey.

Have fun in San Fransisco!

Michael Herold said...

Hey Alex, just catching up on your blog. Didn´t have time to read it after AM started for me.

But seeing you in the news made me curious about what stories you might be telling here. Haha, actually I saw "someone" lying on that AM couch, and was like "Gosh he looks like Alex" - and 2 min later you were officially introduced. So how was the AM couch.. hardly used I guess, since everyone there is so busy?

Anyway, just wanted to drop a line because the Bucket/Stairs animation is HILARIOUS!!! I was wathcing it at work, laughing out loud when Ballie fell! Same for the bug animation.. woooonderful. I can´t comment on your workflow for those weeks.. but just wanted to say thank you for those laughs I had :)

Now on to read the rest of the blog....

Micha.