Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Learning Animation


Hi all,

I love animation, I love the internet and I love blogging. You get to know so many people- that is really awesome. Bala, a young animation aspirant from India, just wrote me asking me how I would learn animation. Well, my first answer would certainly be animation mentor, since this is the best program I know and have heard of so far. Many of my friends studied at various university all over the world and the more I know the more comfortable I feel investing my money into AM.

But that also means that I am in the lucky position of having a job that allows me to pay for this education. And there are many talented people out there that can't afford any animation university - maybe currently, maybe never. So, what to do, where to start?

Well, this is difficult to answer. Actually, it is funny that Bala has asked me that question since I found one of the most complete link lists to animation tutorials I have ever seen on his blog. And that is more than anyone can read to start into animation. But what exactly would I do to start into animation without spending very little or any money at all? Here is a quick sketch (but remember, there is no ONE way, there are many out there to become a freaking animation ninja):

1.) Get a copy of "Illusion of Life" of Ollie Johnston and Frank Thomas.
2.) Read it. When you are done then read chapter 3 again.
3.) Draw every single day. Start with circles and lines. Every day. And do life drawings. If you have no money: draw people on the street or (a little easier at the beginning) draw people from photos... they are 2D already. Try to join a life drawing class at arts schools for free. Just ask the professor if you may sit in the backrow. He might help you.
4.) Read every tutorial over at Keith Langos website.
5.) If you want to join the 3D animation community, get Maya PLE or XSI Exp. I personally recommend XSI Exp since I think the program is better but really, that doesn't matter much. A good starting point for 3D animation is Jeff Lew. I really can recommend that DVD. It was a turning point for me for sure. Download a character someone else has build for you. And then animate with that one. Don't model, don't rig, don't render. Just animate.
6.) Start with "boring" bouncing balls. Don't skip the "boring" parts - not in animation and not in drawing. They are the fundamentals and they make the difference in the end.
7.) Read many blogs of animators and try to do what they did: a sidestep, lifting a box, a bouncing ball, a jumping squirrel, a guy falling.... whatever. Take reference and study the heck out of it.
8.) Be patient. Every kind of art takes time to master. Some are faster at the beginning and some are slower. But eventually you will make it. So don't get discouraged. And please, don't start with a "Two people jumping off a helicopter being chased by 20 police men"-scenario.

9.) And finally when your love for animation has grown: If possible, get into an animation school. Once again, there is a reason why I chose Animation Mentor. And I didn't regret that decision a single day since then. Certainly there are hundreds of great schools out there in the world. But I also heard a many complaints. In my humble opinion, AM is the best program out there at the moment and I would take the same route again and again.

So, animation is no Abrakadabra-magic spell... it is a fine art and a craftsmenship. You can learn it and master it. Start with the basics, set yourself deadlines and then keep on going. You decide the course and you will make it eventually.

I hope that helps you. This is what I would do and in some sort did. Sometimes maybe late but that was my way. So, start right now, animation is an incredible experience. Everytime I watch a scene that I have animated myself after hours and hours of work I look at it and say: "Did I do that? How come they are alive but were dead 7 days ago?"...

I love animation!

- Alex

4 comments:

bala said...

hey alex..
wahh...how wld i thank u man...u r really kind enough...i din't xpect u wld take time n write for me..thnx a lot..
well,just last week i've bought "illusion of life" n really interesting to know the basics frm the inventors..i'm learning max n maya frm a local institute too,but they were insisting me to do all the stuffs(modelling,rigging,texturing,anim) to get into industry...well,now i wld put my conc only on anim...as u said,i too have heard of jeff lew dvd a lot n am gonna get tht soon..hope everything have started for me..now i gotto put myself dedicated and do some basic stuff n ask some sujjestion n critic frm u guys..
n yeah,i've collected a lot of resources n have put in my blog but i wanted to know how a wannabe animator starts himself into the learning process..n u said it all...
surely ur article wld be worth a lot for ny beginner like me..a million thnx 4 tht..n keep helping us..

Alex M. Lehmann said...

Haha... wow, awesome. Man, this sure is a motivation for me to keep on posting =) Well, I am just a humble ninja wannabe myself and there is soo much to learn still that I hardly feel like giving critiques... but feel free to send me your movies (try to keep them small with QT7 and H264 below 5 MB =) and I will try to give you some helpful hints.

You should also check out cg char where you can get great critiques from all around the world too.

I hope that I have some nice tips to share some day, too.

Thanks you two!

- Alex

Boris Hiestand said...

hey - you're a teacher now eh!

damn, that's some good advice man, Maybe you should start following it yourself- a-hee!

N.ABHISHEK said...

hey alex, ur artic.. was really inspiring, i.m learning animation form an institute in kolkata but there is no animation classes only modeling and lighting and all .... so i was on net to get other learning resources and i got you i,m goning to follow ur advice it is really nice. thanks for that.
---n.abhishek